Friday 26 April 2013

The cost of make-up



Last week I did something incredibly stupid. I managed to leave a weekend bag on a bus the day I was due to go away. Although the transport company managed to get it for me, it wasn't on the same day. This meant that along with some of my favourite clothes, I thought I had lost my whole set of basic make-up. Also, going away meant I just could not do without make-up and I ended up having to nip over to Boots on my break at work and get a whole new set. I was not expecting this to cost £75!!! 

I don't think I have ever really thought about how much make-up costs, as I tend to buy one or two bits at a time, replacing something that has run out or treating myself to something new. I can't think of one time in my life where I have had to buy a whole set of make-up in one go. I know when I began to wear make-up, it started as eye shadow and mascara and then the rest all came later. It doesn't seem like a big deal to spend £10 on a mascara now and again, or roughly £9 on a foundation but when you need everything at once, it becomes like hell. 

Not only did I need to buy mascara, foundation, pen eye liner, blusher and powder, I also needed brushes and eyelash curlers. Brushes are crazily expensive I think, and at £10 a go these ended up costing me £30. I only bought the essentials too which was a foundation brush, blusher brush and powder brush. I can't imagine what I would have ended up spending if I was a regular wearer or eye shadow and lipstick. 

I do obviously own more make-up than the basics but I just wanted enough to get me through a weekend. Also, as I'm moving out of my university flat pretty soon, I've already sent a lot of my make-up back home so I didn't have the option of using any of my other supplies. 

I am going to Florida in September and was planning on stocking up a little bit as the prices are so much more reasonable than they are here for make-up. Now though, I think I'll be spending a little more than planned. It would be nice to have an extra set of most things always available just in case I do something like this again. 

1 comment:

  1. It's awful isn't it, it makes me feel really guilty when I think about how much all my beauty products must add up to, and what else I could have done with the money! Ha. Well, at least you got your makeup back, so now you have two lots instead of one - should keep you going for a while!
    Mel x

    melswallofmirrors.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete