Saturday 22 June 2013

Derren Brown: Infamous Tour

This year for Valentine's Day (which I know was WAY back now), my wonderful boyfriend bought me tickets to see Derren Brown at the Norwich Theatre Royal. Although not a typically romantic gift I couldn't have been happier. I was dying to see his tour last year while it was in Nottingham where I was at university but it sold out so fast so I didn't get the chance. 

Derren Brown is one of those people that never fails to amaze me. He has done such a range of things from theatre shows to television specials and they are never the same. Before heading to see Infamous, I had no idea what to expect. It really could have been anything considering what his other theatre shows (which I saw on TV) have been like. My boyfriend hadn't really seen many of his shows so he was even less prepared for what we were about to see but we were both super excited. 

Now, I have to say I cannot say too much about the show, not specifically anyway. During the show, Derren asked everyone to not give away secrets, to not tell others what actually happens in the show either while talking to other people or reviewing the show. So, because of that, I have to respect his wishes and I certainly wouldn't want to ruin any surprises for others who are planning to see it later during the tour. 

However, what I can say is that my mind was completely blown. Even though I didn't know what to expect in the first place, I was still in shock at what Derren managed to achieve during his show. While watching things on television of his, I always sit there and think if I was there in person, I would be able to figure some things out. That was not the case though. For the most part, apart from things that were actually explained, I was completely baffled and there is no way in hell I will ever figure out what that man does or how he does it. 

Not only is the show spectacular in the ways of what is done, Derren is also such a great showman. Audience participation is needed throughout the show and in this one, it was more than normal I would say. I loved seeing people a row in front or behind, or a few seats away, get picked at random even if I was really jealous that it hadn't been me. Real people get to be involved in a Derren Brown show and I cannot think what those people must have been feeling like after the show itself as they were a big part of it. 

Having seen a range of things at the theatre, from ballet, opera and musicals, Derren Brown is by far my favourite. I really doubt that I will ever see anything amazing as one of his shows, unless it is whatever he does next. I cannot recommend seeing Derren Brown enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment